Crossbows LLP

Advocates & Solicitors

Commissioners for Oaths

Notary Public




CALL: 6532 9980


Discuss your case with us at no charge. At Crossbows, we want to help you get moving in the right direction so talk to us. Tell us what’s troubling you, in complete confidence and we will suggest options for you to consider going forward. You are under no obligation at all to appoint us. The first 30 minutes consultation is at no charge and based on our experience, this is usually more than sufficient time to understand your problems and suggest options.


So give us a call at 6532 9980 

or send us an email

Divorce Knowledgebase


When a person passes on, his/her assets need to be dealt with and distributed amongst his/her beneficiaries, who may be family members, whether immediate or remote and/or non-related individuals. The  manner in which the assets will be dealt with will depend on whether that individual made a Will or not.

A Will is a formal document that sets out the wishes of the person making the Will [called the Testator if a male or Testatrix, if a female]. Within the limits of the law, the Testator/Testatrix is at liberty to decide how his/her assets are to be distributed upon passing.

This is to be compared to the situation where a person does not make a Will. Contrary to popular belief, it is not the case that the assets of such a person goes to the government if that person passes on without having made a will. In such a situation, the distribution of assets is governed by the Intestate Succession Act which provides certain rules as to how the assets are to be distributed, depending on the deceased person’s family circumstances. For example, if the deceased is married with children,  the law prescribes that half of his assets are to be given to his surviving spouse and the remainder to be distributed equally amongst the children. This is just one example and there are other rules of distribution which any of our lawyers would be all too happy to walk you through.

The crafting of a Will is a specialist task requiring precision of language and clarity in the overall structure of the document. There are also precise rules governing the form of the Will and who can be present as witnesses at the time that the Testator/Testatrix signs the Will. It is imperative that you have the peace of mind knowing that your Will has been prepared in a manner that complies with the various rules and that the document will be valid upon passing. For these reasons and more, a lawyer should be consulted if you intend to write a Will.

The passing of a loved one is always a difficult period in one’s life and when comfort is found and the passing accepted as a fact of life, life has to move one. If the deceased loved one left any assets behind, it would become necessary to distribute the assets and depending on whether the deceased made a will or passed on without making one, as long as there are assets in the deceased’s name, distribution has to take place. This would require the appointment of certain individuals called administrators or executors, who step in the shoes of the deceased and distribute his/her assets. Such a person/persons have to be formally appointed by the Court by way of documents called ‘Grant of Letters of Representation’, if the deceased did not make a Will or, ‘Grant of  Probate’, if a Will was made.

Whatever the circumstances may be, we can assist you. Call us at 6532 9980.


Crossbows LLP



The Blogfeed


我们必须控制新冠肺炎,国家需要我们全民做出努力,才会打破新冠肺炎在社区传播。例如,许多孩子正在接受家庭学习(HBL)作为措施的一部分。在这段打破传播的期间,我们律师楼对已离婚夫妇有一些建议。这是从有关当局和法律的各种指南中,总结出来的。 首先,不要将孩子送到祖父母的照顾下。切断普通家庭的互动能阻止新冠肺炎的传播。最重要的是,可以保护老年人免受任何感染。 ...

read more

COVID-19 & Child arrangement

The spread of the COVID-19 has to be controlled.  A nationwide effort is required to break the circuit of spreading. For instance, many children are having home-based learning (HBL) as part of the measures. During this circuit breaking period,...

read more

Can I change my child’s name after a divorce?

An adult can change own name by signing a deed poll at the lawyer’s office. How about for the child? A child's parent can change the child’s name . This is done by the parent signing a deed poll on the child’s behalf.It is not uncommon after a...

read more

离婚后的建屋发展局 (HDB) 组屋单位安排

根据建屋发展局 (HDB) 年报(2017/2018),新加坡居民中有81%居住在组屋单位内。因此,在许多离婚中,配偶想知道离婚时他们的组屋单位会发生什么事是理所当然。 配偶通过组建局 (HDB) 资格计划,通过婚姻为家庭核心而共同获得了组屋单位。离婚后,家庭核心不再存在。建屋局将要求离婚夫妇处理此类单位。处理组屋单位有几种可能的方法。 1)租赁协议 (Agreement for...

read more

Financial relief in Singapore after a foreign divorce

Introduction. With 65.63 millions passengers movement in 2018 according to the Changi Airport, Singapore is very much connected to the world. Consequently for locals,  we have plenty of choices of where to get married. This is as result of our travels and...

read more

Your HDB flat & Divorce

According to HDB's Annual Report (2017/2018), 81% of the population in Singapore live in HDB flats. It is therefore not surprising in most divorces, the parties would want to know what will happen to their HDB flat upon a divorce. ...

read more

Reaching Settlement before a Divorce

You can resolve your differences with your spouse in many ways and this can be done even before going to the court. This is because early resolution processes are available. Early settlement of your case can avoid the trauma of a Court hearing. The biggest advantage...

read more

How to Resolve Parenting Conflicts

Quite often, conflicts in parenting style can lead to marital breakdown and worst, it manifests itself during the divorce process. It is clear that we are born and raised differently and no one shares the same childhood experience. As a parent, we tend to have...

read more

The Simple Facts of Life about You & Your Lawyer

You & Your Lawyer - Facts of Life There are, we think, 3 simple facts of life, of broad application. Remembering these 3 simple facts will save most people from getting into a messy situation. Very succinctly, these 3 facts of life are: To some extent,...

read more

Divorce in Singapore involving Foreigners/Expatriates

With transnational marriages on the rise and more expatriates living in Singapore, it is, unfortunately, inevitable that we will see and we are in fact seeing, more and more divorces involving expatriates. What is one to do when confronted with such...

read more

Call Us

Call: 65-6532 9980

Fax: 65-6532 9908


14 Robinson Road

FarEast Finance Building


Singapore 048545


Email Us


Send a Message